back to home page
the news of iowa park
features from around iowa park
weddings, anniversaries and more
local obituaries
columns and letters
sports from local athletes
award-winning photos
let us know
ipleader advertising resources
businesses around iowa park
iowa park churches
area groups
get your message to the people
the iowa park area
the town of friendly living
the best of schools
links of interest
iowa park's paper since 1969
the leader staff
give us a shout

 

 

 

 




Council clears way for fireworks,
volleyball tournament
(04/26/18)


by Dolores Hamilton
The Iowa Park City Council cleared the way Monday for the 2018 Independence Day fireworks display, and the third annual Pigpen Mud Volleyball Tournament to be held June 30 at Oscar Park.
Council approved exemption of the city’s fireworks ordinance, use of the Gordon Lake Dam for a public fireworks display and permission to close the walking trail on the dam from 12-noon Saturday, June 30, until after the show. Also approved was a request for use of city equipment and an operator to reconstruct the mud volleyball pits at Oscar Park and for water for the Independence Day mud volleyball tournament and charity fundraiser.
Council approved a request from the Wichita Amateur Radio Society, Inc. to use the east side of Oscar Park and the Rotary Pavilion as the site of the organization’s field day to be held from 6 a.m. on Saturday, June 23, through 12 p.m. on Sunday, June 24. The event is sponsored by the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) which is the national association for amateur radio and is a noncommercial organization of radio amateurs. City Manager Jerry Flemming pointed out that HAM operators often provide essential communication during emergencies and natural disasters.
A public hearing was held to determine whether the mobile home type residential structure at 311 E. Crystal should be declared a “Substandard Structure” as that term is defined in the city’s Code of Ordinances.
Several months ago the council ordered abatement of two out buildings located behind this structure. The city had been unsuccessful in contacting the owner, David Storey, or any heirs. The property was acquired by Storey in 1978. Property taxes have not been paid since 2014 and there have been no utility services since January, 2016. Flemming said recently they went out to look at the out buildings and found that the main mobile home was insecure. They called law enforcement to go in and check it out and found that the roof and floor were caving in. “It looked like somebody walked away from this 10 years ago and never came back,” he said. It’s inhabited with rats and cats.” Council voted to give the owner 45 days to abate the structure.
Mayor Ray Schultz said the problem with the structure at 2 Harley Court had been taken care of and that hearing was cancelled.
In the second hearing on the structure at 206 N. Hawthorne, council was told that a lot of work had already been done, and the owner was given a 45-day extension to complete the work.
The General Fund budget and Water and Sewer budget were amended to reflect the adjustments of revenues and expenditures.
Flemming gave a report on the city’s current financial condition and said the city is in great shape.