back to home page
the news of iowa park
features from around iowa park
weddings, anniversaries and more
local obituaries
columns and letters
sports from local athletes
award-winning photos
let us know
ipleader advertising resources
businesses around iowa park
iowa park churches
area groups
get your message to the people
the iowa park area
the town of friendly living
the best of schools
links of interest
iowa park's paper since 1969
the leader staff
give us a shout

 

 

 

 




Family of 12 lose home to fire Wednesday
(02/23/17)

A family lost their home and all their possessions when their home in the 100 block of James Drive burned.
Iowa Park Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to a fully engulfed house fire at 5:05 a.m. Wednesday.
According to Iowa Park Fire Chief Andy Payne, when he arrived the house was fully engulfed. However, the family of 12 and four pets, two dogs and two cats, escaped with no injuries.
Treavor and Linda Stewart and their 10 children were not able to save anything from their home.
Payne said the resident told him he woke up to a strange smell around 2 a.m. and found what smelled like something burning around a wax warmer. After the resident checked on the warmer he returned to bed and woke around 5 a.m. to a loud popping sound.
A neighboring house was damaged by heat, but the fire was contained to the one home.
However, because the neighboring home was threatened by the flames, the residents who lived there and neighbors removed pets out of that house.
Electra and Burkburnett Fire Departments provided mutual aide.
Payne said there were approximately 25 firefighters and three fire units as well as a rescue vehicle and AMR on stand-by at the scene.
Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.